In this second half of our conversation with Vinay Gupta, we get into exploring some out-there ideas, including space exploration and enlightenment. We start off talking about consumerism, and how many aspects of Western culture are still based around old Christian ideas. We also discuss quantum mechanics, probability, and how those concepts may fit into evolution, or even drive it.
Space Exploration and Elon Musk
Elon Musk and his space exploration ambitions make it into the conversation, and we talk about the existential threat of developing artificial intelligence and nanotechnology on our planet as opposed to doing it on an off-planet space base on Mars or elsewhere.
Finally, we get into the intersection of spirituality and science, and talk about Vinay’s own path to enlightenment.
To check out Part 1 of our Vinay Gupta conversation, go here.
In this episode of The Future Thinkers Podcast:
- How consumerism and capitalism are informed by religion
- Going outward (space exploration) vs. Going inward (meditation / virtual reality)
- Elon Musk and “our future in the stars”
- AI and artificial life studies
- Quantum mechanics and probability as parts of evolution
- The potential existential threat of nanotech and biotech
- Separating biological and post-biological evolution
- DNA as memory storage
- Extreme life extension
- The path to enlightenment
Download Vinay’s Meditation App:
The Cutting Machinery Meditation app we made with Vinay Gupta is available for iPhone and Android
Mentions & Resources:
- Vinay Gupta’s website
- Freud’s nephew and advertising
- The double-slit experiment
- Artificial life studies
- Elon Musk: artificial intelligence is our biggest existential threat
- FTP0018: Vinay Gupta, Part 1: Techno-Social Systems, Meditation, and Basic Human Needs
- FTP001: Technology, Spirituality, and Artificial Intelligence
- FTP002: Creativity and The Meaning of Life
- Future Thinkers Podcast on Youtube
Recommended & Mentioned Books:
- Mother of Hydrogen by Vinay Gupta
- A Paradise Built in Hell by Rebecca Solnit
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance
Question of the day:
Should we move all General Artificial Intelligence and nanotechnology research off-planet? Why or why not? Answer in the comments below!
Listen & Subscribe:
Help us make more episodes! Donate through Patreon, Paypal, or cryptocurrency HERE.