Vinay Gupta is an old-school cypherpunk who has been involved with cryptography and crypto-currency since the 1990s – he was as active member of the E-gold community before it got shut down. In recent years, he has been working on humanitarian projects to do with disaster prevention and relief with United States Department of Defense and other organizations. He is also the inventor of the Hexayurt, a cheap, open-source, zero-waste disaster relief shelter which is being used in refugee camps and in festivals like BurningMan.
This is first part of our 2-hour conversation with Vinay Gupta, we talk about cryptography and how decentralized technologies and platforms like Ethereum can change our society. We discuss techno-social systems, and how disruptive technologies can break the cycle of those systems. We talk about having everyone’s basic survival needs met as a human right, and creating a future that includes all 7+ billion people – not just the Western world. We also touch on different approaches to meditation, and its place in our lives.
Check out Part 2 for our conversation with Vinay, where we talk about artificial intelligence, the brain as a quantum computer, and all sorts of other out-there stuff.
In this episode of The Future Thinkers Podcast:
- [05:03] – What is eGold?
- [09:24] – How Ethereum is fundamentally different from current web systems
- [18:44] – Database vs. Network, and how networked databases can change the world
- [21:41] – What is Ethereum besides a database?
- [29:36] – Escapist Meditation vs. Meditation for understanding the Truth
- [34:42] – Medieval Bullshit Meditation
- [41:55] – How do we adjust our systems to accommodate 10+ billion people?
- [49:00] – Understanding the constitution from the perspective of intent
- [1:04:40] – How is Vinay Gupta radical?
Mentions & Resources:
- Vinay Gupta
- Hexayurt – cheap, zero-waste disaster relief shelter
- Ethereum – a platform for decentralized apps
- Gaskin’s Farm
- How to sell ideas – a talk by Vinay Gupta
- “The Guy I Almost Was” by Patrick Farley
- Ancient Roman birth control herb that went extinct
- Future Thinkers Podcast on Youtube
- “Seeing Like a State” by James Scott
- The Zero Marginal Cost Society by Jeremy Rifkin
- The Industries of the Future by Alec Ross
More From Future Thinkers:
- Our 5-part Interview with Vinay Gupta on Techno-Social Systems and Enlightenment (FTP018, 19, 26, 27, 28)
- Blockchains: Building Blocks for a New Society with Vince Meens (FTP032)
- Global Phase Shift with Daniel Schmachtenberger (FTP036)
- FTP011 – Bitcoin and Decentralized Platforms
- FTP016 – Vitalik Buterin on Ethereum and the Decentralized Future