Podcast: Play in new window | Download
The Fermi Paradox states that on one hand, the probability of alien civilizations is high. On the other hand, we don’t have any convincing evidence that such civilizations do exist. There are many proposed explanations for this paradox – some of them quite simple, some complex, and some outright bizarre.
Fermi Paradox Explanations
In this episode of the Future Thinkers Podcast, we go through some notable explanations of the Fermi Paradox, and discuss our own ideas on this topic. We get into many different scenarios, like extraterrestrial civilizations existing in other dimensions, STEM compression and the transcension hypothesis, AI-based intelligence, and virtual realities.Fermi Paradox: Why colonize empty space when you can build universes in your living room? Click To Tweet
In this episode of the Future Thinkers Podcast:
- What is the Fermi paradox? Why haven’t we discovered other intelligent life in the observable universe?
- The human perception being limited to only certain dimensions
- The transcension hypothesis and what it means
- STEM compression as a civilization gets more advanced
- Why we shouldn’t assume other intelligent species would be similar to humans
- Could other intelligent life be AI based?
Question of the day:
What do you think is the most plausible explanation of Fermi’s paradox? Answer in the comments below, we’d love to hear from you.
Mentions & Resources:
- Fermi Paradox
- The 10 dimensions explained, a somewhat controversial video
- Transcension hypothesis
- STEM compression by John Smart
- Voyager 1: The Golden Record
- If the Universe is Teeming with Aliens, Where Is Everybody? by Stephen Webb
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance
More by Future Thinkers:
- Cyborg Buddha – Transhuman Enlightenment with James Hughes (FTP025)
- DMT: Crazy Psychedelic or a Portal to Another Dimension? (FTP022)
- What Are The Biggest Existential Risks to Humanity with Phil Torres (FTP023)
- Global Phase Shift with Schmachtenberger (FTP036)
Comments are closed.
We hve not yet detected alien civilisations because of the vastness of space and the small number of alien civilisations divided by many star systems. Give it time and we will indeed make contact. Remember, we have only “lived” as a civilisation capable of making contact for the blink of an eye.
True – the distances are very vast, and we are babies as far as civilizations go.
A little late, but never mind. I believe that the explanation that suits my fancy best is the one of supra-human dimensions, but not separated from our four typical ones, but rather, intertwined in such a way that every once in a while some activity pops in or out from and to out 4-dimensional reality. This would explain sightings of UFOs, ghosts, paranormal happenings. I read a book many years ago in which this mingling of dimensions was “explained” and I found it very probable, although I didn’t know how. Science has helped here with string theory and a multidimensional universe, that gives more credence to that book’s hypothesis, so to speak.
The purported abilities of some people to see into the future or the past or a far-away present would be regarded as a possibility as well, since they may be “in tune” with other dimensions, thus popping in or out of different realities. The book was of a paranormal nature. I forgot name of author and book. I keep thinking Anne Rice, but I may be mistaken. Thank you.