A common life script that we’re all familiar with, and that many of us followed, is to go to university or college to study something we’re interested in, graduate with a degree, and then step out to the real world expecting the perfect job to be there waiting for us. That’s what our teachers and parents taught us, because that’s how it was in their time. But let’s face it, the system doesn’t really work that way anymore.
Schools are pumping out graduates at a much faster rate than the jobs that fit those degrees are being created. In fact, with automation, many jobs are actually disappearing. On top of that, more and more employees are looking for experience and “fit” rather than a degree when hiring new employees. Then add on the debt that is created through student loans, and getting a college or university degree becomes even less reasonable.
Fortunately, universities and colleges aren’t the only places where people can get an “education”. More people are now looking into different venues where they can consume knowledge and learn new skill sets independently. These people end up creating job opportunities for themselves by becoming entrepreneurs or freelancers, and not depending on any system to hand these opportunities to them.
In this episode, Mike and I talk about the future of learning and why it’s something everyone should be doing without the help of formal education institutions. We also discuss the importance of finding your core values and how knowing these can help you make a career out of the things you are passionate about. We also talk about how you can create your own curriculum and get the motivation to accomplish your goals.
In this episode of The Future Thinkers Podcast
- Why the school system does not match today’s job market
- Mike and Euvie’s formal education stories
- Why self-education is the solution to the fear of uncertainty in a career
- How to figure out what you’re passionate about and the values behind that
- Creating your own curriculum and career path
- The 3 pillars of education
- How to get motivated to achieve your goals
Mentions & Resources
- Our multimedia marketing & production company, Giant Supernova
- Jon Myers
- How to Teach Yourself Anything by Scott Dinsmore
- Is College Worth It? – a breakdown of which degrees pay off the most and the least
- Will Your Job Get Taken by Robots? Infographic and Flowchart
- This Week in Technology Posted in /r/Futurology on Reddit
- The Future of Work and Entrepreneurship (FTP008)
Question of the day:
What would you do if you had a billion dollars? What is that one thing you would do if money wasn’t an issue? Let us know in the comments, we’d love to hear from you!
Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port
Start With Why by Simon Sinek
Listen & Subscribe:
Help us make more episodes! Donate through Patreon, Paypal, or cryptocurrency HERE.