Many of us are societally conditioned to follow a certain life script: go to school, get a degree, go into debt, get a corporate job, get married, buy a house, go into more debt, be unhealthy, retire, do some things you’ve always wanted to do, and then die. Of course, there is nothing wrong with having this life path if that is what you truly want, but many people end up conforming to it even if that isn’t their idea of a perfect life.
On the other hand, there is a growing number of people who are going against this status quo and writing their own life script. Call them digital nomads, location independent entrepreneurs, or lifestyle designers – people who make their living online, often running their own businesses, while travelling the world. This is not backpacking: these are people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s who are building successful businesses and leveraging their location to do so. There is also a strong self-development aspect to this movement, with people optimizing themselves in terms of health, productivity, and self-education.
In this episode, Mike and I are joined by Terry Lin and Jon Myers, two online entrepreneurs who have turned their passion into their business. We talk about the digital nomad movement, self-optimization, and how technology and robotics will affect the future of work.
In this episode of the Future Thinkers Podcast
- The future of work, entrepreneurship, and location independence
- The disappearance of jobs and the rise of the digital nomad
- Online entrepreneurship: what it is and what it isn’t
- How to make a living from your craft and your passion
- Cultivating a mindset that focuses on solutions and opportunities
- The brain and the self as tools for development
- Becoming a producer rather than a consumer
- Why the ‘starving artist’ fantasy is over-glorified and outdated
- Why robots will take over your job
Mentions & resources
- Terry Lin, Build My Online Store & Baller Leather
- Jon Myers and the Earth on Fire movement
- Software is Eating the World
- Potato Salad on Kickstarter
Question of the day:
What is your dream job, or dream work environment? Leave a comment below, we’d like to hear from you guys!
The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
Zag: The Number One Strategy of High-Performance Brands by Marty Neumeier
Blue Ocean Strategy by W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
Nonviolent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg
The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman
Listen & Subscribe:
Help us make more episodes! Donate through Patreon, Paypal, or cryptocurrency HERE.