In this second part of our Dr. Jordan Peterson interview, he talks about Jung’s archetypes and how they apply to everyday life and self development, the Jungian definition of enlightenment, and the value of psychedelics.
Jung’s Archetypes and Enlightenment
Carl Jung has been an influential thinker for Jordan Peterson. One of the key ideas coined by Jung is that of archetypes – characters and stories that are repeated throughout human history. Because these characters and stories are so deeply imbedded in our biology and our understanding of the world, it makes them “more real than real” in a way. This is why all of us can relate to them, and why these stories can be a useful tool for personal transformation. Jordan Peterson touches on some of these, like Harry Potter and the stories in the Bible.You have to shake off your resentment of being in order to be oriented towards the good Click To Tweet
Dr. Jordan Peterson also explains the Jungian perspective on enlightenment. At the core of it there are two things: always telling the truth and being oriented towards the good – by aiming to decrease unnecessary suffering in the world. He talks about the importance of exploring the darkest corners of your own mind and external reality to fully understand it. And finally, shaking off your resentment of those things before you can become oriented towards the good.The degree you're enlightened is proportionate to the depth of the darkest place you've visited Click To Tweet
Dr. Jordan Peterson on Psychedelics
Jordan Peterson talks about the history of psychedelics being used in initiation ceremonies, their value in modern society, and the recent research on their benefits.
The importance of set and setting make it into the conversation too. This relates to Jordan Peterson’s commonly used theme of “Sort Yourself Out”, which is meant to be applied to every area of your life.
In This Episode of Future Thinkers Podcast:
How you could have been a Nazi
What is enlightenment from Jung’s perspective?
Why archaic people had initiation ceremonies
Psychedelics & their value
Archetypes and how to use them in self development
Is there meaning to life?
What you can do to make your life better
Mentions and Resources:
- Johns Hopkins Psilocybin experiments
- The Depressive and the Psychopath – An explanation of the motives of the Columbine shooters
- Support Dr. Jordan Peterson on Patreon
- Listen to the 1st half of this Jordan Peterson interview here
- Try our meditation app for the technique Mike talks about
- Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief by Jordan B. Peterson
- Food of the Gods by Terrance McKenna
- Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious by Carl Jung
More From Future Thinkers:
- Dr. Jordan Peterson on Failed Utopias, Mapping the Mind, and Finding Meaning (FTP038)
- Our 3-part Interview with Vinay Gupta on Enlightenment (FTP026, 27, 28)
- Duncan Trussell on Apocalypse and the Cognitive Vertigo of Reality (FTP034)
- DMT: Crazy Psychedelic or Portal to Other Dimensions?(FTP022)