In this episode we talk to Dr. Jordan Peterson who is a clinical psychologist and a professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. His thinking was informed by some of the most influential figures in the fields of psychology, philosophy and biology, from Nietzsche to Darwin to Jung.
Controversy Surrounding Dr. Jordan Peterson
Dr. Jordan Peterson has been receiving a lot of attention in the past year because of his strong opposition to gender neutral pronouns.
In this interview, he explains how people’s personalities predict their political belief, and what the driving factors behind all the recent social justice warrior and political correctness movements are.If you have a problem, the question always is: Who has the problem, you or everybody else? Click To Tweet
In his dissection of ideologies he examines and explains some of the pitfalls of post-modernism, environmentalism, and other failed utopias.
He then goes into explaining some of the basics of Jungian and Freudian psychology, after which he talks about the tools for reasoning that he equips his students with.
By the end of the episode Peterson goes deep into the mythological frameworks, which most of his lectures and studies are based around.
Listen to the 2nd half of this Jordan Peterson interview.One of the reasons women get paid less is because they're more agreeable Click To Tweet
In This Episode of Future Thinkers Podcast:
- [06:43] – Personality predictors of political belief
- [12:39] – The increasing fragmentation of sub groups
- [21:26] – Examining failed utopias
- [24:07] – Why is everyone so offended?
- [32:46] – Can environmentalism be harmful?
- [35:58] – We all have multiple personalities
- [42:30] – Winning the meta game, not an argument
- [52:28] – What do we do now that God has died
“You can’t make the oppressed into a homogenous group, in part because everyone is oppressed to some degree by the demand for adherence to normative standards. Which are necessary – that’s the price you pay for social being .” – Dr. Jordan Peterson
“It’s the construction of the value hierarchy and the differentiation of things into less valuable and more valuable that gives your life meaning ” – Dr. Jordan Peterson
Mentions and Resources:
- Take Jordan Peterson’s Self Authoring Suite Courses
- Dr. Jordan Peterson’s Youtube videos that started the controversy
- BBC: Toronto professor Dr. Jordan Peterson takes on gender-neutral pronouns
- Support Dr. Jordan Peterson on Patreon
- Listen to the 2nd half of the Jordan Peterson interview here
- Cutting Machinery website – companion to our meditation app
- Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief by Dr. Jordan Peterson
- The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- Modern Man in Search of a Soul by Carl Jung
More From Future Thinkers:
- Archetypes, Psychedelics, and Enlightenment with Dr. Jordan Peterson (FTP039)
- Apocalypse and the Cognitive Vertigo of Reality with Duncan Trussell (FTP034)
- Our 5-part Interview with Vinay Gupta on Techno-Social Systems and Enlightenment (FTP018, 19, 26, 27, 28)
- The Future of Education: How to Find Your Life’s Work (FTP009)
Thank You to Our Sponsor!